Jim Gray is an expert on children’s play, learning, development, and technology. He specializes in kids’ apps and other digital media for use in homes, preschools, schools, and community settings such as museums and libraries. Jim’s unique perspective on the design and use of kids’ media, toys, and curriculum comes from having successfully straddled academic, research, preschool/school, community, corporate, and startup environments over two decades of work in the field.
He’s been a teacher of young children, researcher of innovative learning technologies, Director of Learning at LeapFrog Enterprises, advisor/designer of educational digital media, and curator of hundreds of apps for app review/curation services. Jim has a BA in Early Childhood Education from Michigan State University, an advanced degree in Interactive Media Design from Rochester Institute of Technology, and a doctorate of Education from Harvard University. He’s been an advisor to PBS Kids Next Generation Media and Stanford University’s Program in Learning, Design, and Technology. As the father of twin preschoolers, he loves inventing toys and playful learning activities for his whole family.
Plan, build, and support a taxonomy of learning goals for one or more subject areas, aligned to standards as required, and organized to meet the needs of your project.
Envision and guide development of learning goals, content, and interactions to support engagement, play, and learning for children and families.
Analyze business landscape, educational trends, and learning technologies to identify opportunities and avoid dead ends.
Engage individuals or groups in a process of envisioning new directions or innovative approaches to existing ones.
- World Congress of Play (2013)
- National Reseach Council (2013)
- Interaction Design and Children (IDC) Opening Keynote (2011)
- Fred Forward Panel (2010)
- Kids@Play CES (2010)
- CHI Panel (2009)
- Sandbox Summit Panel (2009)
- Dust or Magic talk (2006, 2008, 2009, 2012)
- Kid Power Conference Keynote (2005)
Other Professional Activities
- J.B. & M.K. Pritzker Family Foundation, Early Childhood Innovation Accelerator’s Impact Advisory Committee
- Co-author: Harnessing the Science of Learning to Promote Real Educational Apps for Psychological Science for the Public Interest (in process)